11/26/12

Thanksgiving 2012

Another Thanksgiving has come and gone.  It's been a complete whirlwind but it's been wonderful.  I always love recapping the festivities of holidays so I can remember later...

The day started bright and early at about 7:30 AM.  Unfortunately Rob couldn't/wouldn't get out of bed, so I had to drag the huge turkey out of the fridge, out of the brine and into the bag in the roaster.  It went well, and I like knowing I can do it alone.  Rob ambled into the kitchen.  As it has been, and may always be, I would be unable to cook on Thanksgiving Day without my husband.  He becomes the hands I don't have but need!  We did the first thing we always do together...peeled potatoes.  Put those on, and I got sweet potatoes on to boil.

Other tasks just fell into place after that.  We worked on the sweet potatoes and mashed potatoes, then the green bean casserole.  I got the carrots and brussel sprouts ready, and we worked on any cleaning that needed to be done.  I set the table while Rob went to take a shower, and when he got done I put together the dressing and went to take my shower.  As I was getting ready to get in the shower my parents arrived with my aunt.  They were a little early, but it made me realize how close we were to dinner time!  I showered as quick as I could, and headed back to the kitchen.  My mom was doing dishes, and my husband was tidying things up and I started cooking.

The last 30-40 minutes of cooking is the hardest.  I was making beets, creamed corn, creamed spinach, gravy, everything at the same time.  Also getting things in and out of the oven and not letting anything get to cold.  This is when my husband is so important for me.  It's astounding how we work together in the kitchen. I noted it last year, but this year was the same.  We are just so in sync, it's like a perfect dance.  We'd also be lost without my mother doing dishes for us!

Finally, dinner was served.  The moment we were all waiting for.  This is just after we started eating...

Pardon the lens cap, I was tired!  Oh, and as a note, it's not wine, sparkling juice!
We ended up having 14 sides including my moms sweet potatoes.  I know it's a ridiculous amount of food.  I wouldn't do it differently.  Maybe eventually it'll be downsized, but not yet!  I love cooking so much, and even though it's exhausting I wouldn't change a thing!  Here is a picture of my mom's plate.



I love how colorful the plate is.  So many colors and different foods!  All together this was a huge success.  It was delicious, and pretty perfect.  The only thing I would change would be if I could get another stove/oven to cook with on Thanksgiving day, and to see what items reheat well that I could definitely make a day in advance.

How was your Thanksgiving? Did it go well?  Share below!

No comments: