|Disclaimer: Not my house! Beautiful though. Via google.com|
1. Clean. Going through a house, getting rid of all the cobwebs, and cleaning it your way can help give you peace of mind as to how clean it is. It doesn’t have to be spotless, just tidy. Having a huge pile of dirty dishes in the sink, or dirty clothes all the floor just doesn’t seem as homey as a nice clean area.
2. Smell. This to me is very important to me. Smells are closely attached to and associated with memories. Having certain smells in your house, helps make it feel homey. I recently bought a candle that smells like coffee mixed with cinnamon and something sweet. It’s probably one of the most delicious smells I’ve ever experienced! I keep it in the kitchen, and try to remember to light it right after, or right before cleaning my kitchen. The smell drifts through the house, and it just makes everything seem cozy and homey.
3. Décor. One of the next steps to making a house a home is decorating. Being surrounded by beautiful things, and memories is one of the best way to make a space feel homey. Having your favorite painting hanging on the wall, your books in their bookshelves, or a fluffy rug down in the living room makes things feel cozy, warm, and home-y. It’s important for you to fill your home with things you like, and are inspired by. Also, keep in mind having a house that looks like it belongs in a magazine, may make your husband, children, and guests feel as though they have to keep things looking pretty. You want people to be able to relax, not worry about breaking something!
4. Atmosphere. Creating a cozy atmosphere. This can be a lot of different things. Having the windows open, and letting the light and fresh air in. Lighting candles, to add smells and glowing light. Having fresh baked cookies on the counter, or an arrangement of fresh flowers on the table.
5. You. This might seem like an odd one to add, but I think it is SO important. You're attitude is huge in making a house feel like home. If you are positive, loving, and encouraging, it truly helps makes a house a home. If you are living in a less than ideal situation or area, it is your job to focus on what you have, versus what you don't. It's your job to be cheerful, and hold everything together.
Making a home is not always easy, but it's such an important job. We are working at making our loved ones feel safe, comfy, and cozy. To honor making a house a home, I thought I would host a giveaway!
I will be giving one lucky winner 2 large jar candles from Yankee Candle.
You get to pick which ones you'd like, so don't worry about getting stuck with one that doesn't suit you! To enter, please use the Rafflecopter form below. Winners will be announced Thursday May 31st. Good luck!
PS This is totally my first time using Rafflecopter, if you have any problems leave a comment, or shoot me an e-mail!