12/12/11

Got Goals?

As anyone who reads this knows, I'm an accidental housewife.  At times, I feel like I have everything in control, but then there are other times at which I feel utterly lost.  I feel like I'm working, working, working, and then I look around and wonder why nothing is done!  I recently realized that succeeding without goals is kind of impossible.  If I list out my goals, and I'm accomplishing them, then I am succeeding.  I am being productive, and I have no reason to feel guilty or inadequate.  It is also a way to keep myself in line, I know specifically what I want to accomplish, I can't talk my way out of it!  There are a lot of ways you could set up your goal list.  You could do daily goals, weekly, monthly, yearly, or even for a certain amount of years down the line.  I've just started my lists, so I can't share them all with you.  But I can give you a basic outline of the goals I have for myself.

1. Spiritually.  Spending time praying, doing devotional daily, bible reading daily. Etc.
2. Wife. Being patient with my husband, treating him the way I'd like to be treated. Etc.
3. Housewifery. Not living in CHAOS (can't have anyone over syndrome), dinner ready when Rob gets home, being organized and clutter free.
4. Blog. Being a consistent blogger, interacting with people I read and people who read my blog, being a diverse blog (i.e. not all about giveaways, not all about being a housewife).
5. Business. Creating and running a successful at home business. More to come on that at the first of the year I hope ;)

That's all I have at the moment.  My actual list is more detailed, and I hadn't even brainstormed Spirituality, wife, and business as much as the others so that's why they aren't more detailed.  I think I'm also going to create a daily goal list.  The 5 or 10 most important tasks/goals of the day.  My overall, grand, goal is to have everything under control.  This is not to be confused with having everything perfect, or the inability to be flexible.  It does mean that I know what I need to do and I do it.  The new year is literally right around the corner, so now is a great time to be thinking of goals.

What types of goals do you have for yourself?  Do they help keep you on track?

2 comments:

Whitney said...

Good thoughts! I'm terribly distractable person and depend on lists to keep me on task. We have a giant dry erase board which we use to jot down notes as they come to us. I often use it to list and prioritize what I need to have accomplished in the day/week. Sometimes it even lists rooms to be cleaned (because yes,my attention span can be that short! haha). Marking off the items is an excellent motivator (even just something simple like a cleaned room! haha). Also, I'm glad I'm not the only one already thinking about goals for the new year! The closer it gets the more I think, "okay, first FULL year of living in this new direction! Let's get intentional!" Best of luck with all your goals now and upcoming (I'm excited to hear of your home business! I love such endeavors!). :)

Heather @ Simple Wives said...

I get very distracted. I love to live by lists, but sometimes my days just don't go as planned!

BTW, I LOVE your background!