11/25/11

Quick Thanksgiving Recap...

((Again, sorry I haven't replied to comments yet, just haven't had the spare time to do so!))

Rob and I didn't get to sleep until about 3 AM on Thanksgiving morning, and then woke up at about 6AM.  Thankfully, this is nothing new for us.  With his work schedule, we tend to go to sleep either really late, not at all!  We got to my moms later than we planned, with a suitcase and tub packed with food items I had already made or all the ingredients needed to make certain things.  We got our turkey on by 8:30 AM which was just in time.  After doing that my lovely husband and I sat at the dining room table and looked through the huge stack of ads that came in the paper.  I gave him any and all tool ads and I looked at most the ads (I am not an ad snob!)  At about 10 or 10:30 we decided to start assembling side dishes.  Rob helped my mom put a few things away and I got started peeling potatoes.  Then Rob put them on to boil, and we assembled the green bean casserole, the sweet potato casseroles, and I made a pecan pie.  The best thing about cooking with my husband, is that when we're both in the kitchen together, it's like we're one person.  It's effortless, and it flows, like the perfect dance.  At noon Rob left to go get his mother, and I got down to the nitty gritty.  The last hour and a half of cooking for Thanksgiving is the hardest!  I put our butternut squash into the oven along with my carrots to be roasted.  I also assembled the last of my breadpudding so it would be ready to go into the oven when we sat down to eat, and at 12:30 the turkey came out of the oven, and the green bean casseroles and sweet potatoes went in.  I'm thankful my mom was able to set the table and decide where the food would go as I was too busy to think of that part of it!  I pulled the sweet potatoe casseroles out and put the mashed potatoes in, and we sat down to eat at 1:30!  I had hoped to sit down to eat at 1:00 but alas, it wasn't meant to be!  I do believe to be totally successful at Thanksgiving you would need two fridges and two stoves (I'm adding an extra large fridge and double stoves to my dream kitchen list!)  Here is what was on the menu, in case you were curious!

turkey
mashed potatoes
pecan crumble sweet potatoes
sweet potatoes with marshmallows
roasted carrots
caramelized butternut squash
broccoli cauliflower salad
rolls
cranberry sauce
green bean casserole
dressing

and for dessert...

pecan pie
pumpkin pie
pumpkin bread pudding with vanilla bean creme anglaise and a spicy caramel apple sauce!!!! (this dessert deserves those exclamation marks!)

I bet to some that looks like a lot of food, and it is.  I love, love, love thanksgiving leftovers though, and needless to say we'll be eating them for awhile!

How was your Thanksgiving meal this year?

((PS I've been so busy I forgot to mention it, but my blog has passed the 1 year mark!  I hope to have some sort of blog party to celebrate soon!))

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

thanks girl and I will so you can read :D Will let you know...
Thanksgiving meal was delicious as always. Also...
HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOUR BLOG
Too lazy to sign in but it's Sophie from His Abundant Grace