2/3/11

My Wedding

I got married to my wonderful husband on September 26th, 2009.  We got married outside, on my grandfathers farm.  My mom, dad, and sisters decorated it for the big day.  My colors were black, white and red.  My flowers were roses and calla lilies.  I am a fairly shy, laid back person, and for the majority of my wedding day, leading up to the ceremony, I was pretty calm and collected.  When I peeked out the window, and I saw my husband to be standing at the end of the aisle, is when I started getting nervous.  When my music started playing, my heart started racing.  I opted for a non-traditional song to walk down the isle to.  (It's called River Flows in You by Yiruma, here's the link for the song, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhN7SG-H-3k ) I started getting a bit frantic at this point.  Not so much getting married, as walking by all those people!  I was pacing around and my cousin, and only maid of honor grabbed my face, and told me everything was fine, great even, and I needed to pull myself together!  She then walked out the door, and down the aisle.  After she left, all I could say was, "We should have fun off to Mexico and just eloped!" As I was saying this multiple times, my sister who was making sure my dress would fit through the door, told me to stop talking because people could hear me!  Finally, it was my turn to step out those doors, both my parents walked me down the aisle, and all I could do was look at my to-be husband.  He is the only person or thing I looked at.  The moment he saw me, he started crying.  (They were silent, man tears!) I just wanted to cry too!  I knew I couldn't start crying, because I wouldn't start, and it could get ugly.  So, I bit the corner of my lip to keep myself collected.  As the ceremony started, things got a bit easier.  Then, when my preacher asked if I would take this man to be my wife, everything got much more comfortable.  (My husband and I still joke about him being my wife to this day!)  We were about to do the ring exchange when things got even more comfortable.  I took my to-be husbands ring from my cousin, turned around, and preceeded to drop the ring on the wooden floor we were standing on.  It rolled, bounced, and made what I though to be the LOUDEST noise any ring dropped could ever make.  Everyone laughed, and the rest of the ceremony concluded without incedent.  As my husband and I entered back into the house, we just hugged eachother in a huge hug and cried together.  We were so happy!!  We had only been engaged for 6 months, but it felt like we'd been waiting to get married for years.  That's the only thing I would have changed about my wedding.  Not waiting so long to do it!!  The next day, we packed up and left Kansas City, to go on our honeymoon in South Padre Island, Texas.  My husband and I have never done a road trip by ourselves, and barely been out of Missouri.  Our road trip to South Padre was amazing.  We were in a car together for like, 17, 18 hours and no fighting!  We saw the ocean together for the first time.  We ate at Whataburger, and Jack in the Box. (Why, oh why can't we have these things in Missouri?!)  We had such a great time, we want to go back there again.  It wasn't perfect, we had things go wrong in our wedding, with me dropping the ring, and my husband being my wife.  And our honeymoon wasn't perfect either, we got a flat tire, and could NEVER find a McDonald's for breakfast when we wanted too, but it was perfect in its imperfectness.  That's the biggest lesson my husband I and have learned I think.  Nothings ever going to go just right.  Things are going to break, people are going to get hurt, and your dog is going to eat your mattress.  But, you wouldn't change it for anything, would you?
(P.S. I wish I could find my wedding pictures, being Ms. Unorganized,  I know they are here, but not where they are!)

1 comment:

MrsLuckyLee said...

Too cute! I love how you described your wedding! South Padre is AWESOME!!! I have been there wayyyy to many times lol...Whataburger is amazing...my fiance' complains every time he goes to West Virgnia or out of state because that is his favorite fast food restaurant! I'm so glad you've looked at your wedding as YOUR wedding and YOUR life. Because we live our life for God first and foremost, and He is the one we should be trying to please, not other people. Sounds to me like ya'll had the perfect wedding and the perfect honeymoon. It was completely imperfect in our society and thats what makes it even better! You didn't freak out and become a drama queen about dropping the ring, and that in itself is amazing! Most brides would have had a fit! I am so blessed to be getting to know you! I love everything you have to offer and share! I'm still working on my journal! Thanks again!